News: Landlord anger as council fails to find accommodation for tenant

Wed, 20 Oct 21

A landlord has taken to the local media in his area to express outrage that a council has failed to find accommodation for a tenant - after six months of waiting.

Landlord Gary Mortimer needs to sell his buy to let as the mortgage is nearing its full term, and is now forced to apply for an eviction notice against his tenant - although he says the tenant has been fine and they have a good relationship. 

Earlier this year he issued the tenant of 10 years with a Section 21 notice meaning they had six months to find new accommodation. The tenant immediately applied to the council for housing, but the deadline has passed with no progress.

“I phoned the council on October 7 to see what’s happening with the tenant’s accommodation, and they said they hadn’t found her anything. They’ve had six months to do this. What’s the point of the law if they’re not taking any notice of it?” Mortimer has told the This Is Wiltshire news website.

“The council is just palming it off and waiting until the eleventh hour. Six months is a long time for them to know if they are in a position to do something for a potentially homeless person or not.”

A spokesperson for Wiltshire council has told the website: “When a landlord provides a tenant with written notice to leave a property, we will work with the tenants to create a personal housing plan as we have a duty to help them avoid homelessness. We will help them to try and secure another home which may be social housing or another private rented property.


“The demand for accommodation is extremely high and we do all we can to try and prevent families from becoming homeless, but it isn’t always possible and in some cases families are provided with temporary accommodation until more suitable accommodation can be found.

“If a family decide they do not want to leave the accommodation they are past the notice expiry date we would explain the rights they have and the implications if they decide to stay.

“The council is not able to force a family to leave or give them permission to stay in a property. Our role is to advise tenants on their legal rights and explain the options available to them and the implications of each option. Once the tenant has made a decision about what they are going to do we would continue to work with them to secure suitable alternative accommodation.”

Back to: News Index