Mon, 21 Jun 21
The Welsh Government says the mandatory six month notice period which landlords must give their tenants will now last until the end of September - it had been due to finish in 10 days’ time.
Using its existing emergency Coronavirus powers, this is the fourth extension granted by the Welsh Government obliging landlords to give six months’ notice.
The legislation was originally voted in by the Welsh Senedd in March last year.
Wales housing minister Julie James now says: “The purpose of this alteration is to ensure that during the on-going public emergency, and in the light of the continued uncertainty caused by the emergence of new virus variants, landlords continue to give increased notice to tenants facing eviction from rented properties before landlords can issue proceedings for possession.
“The effect will to be to delay evictions meaning that fewer people will face eviction into homelessness at a time when local authorities are less able to respond to these situations.”
Meanwhile tomorrow, Wednesday and Thursday sees a Scottish Parliament debate which could see the extension of the Emergency Coronavirus Laws by at least another six months, something which experts at Propertymark are warning against.
This is expected to include an extension to the eviction ban.
In spring 2020 the Scottish Government introduced a temporary ban on the enforcement of eviction orders in the private and social rented sectors to protect renters during the health crisis - but whilst other UK nations are lifting the ban, Scotland may this week extend its ban.
Back to: News Index