Thu, 30 Jul 20
Two London landlords and their lettings agents will have to pay tens of thousands of pounds after a home the were letting was infested with rats and cockroaches.
Three of the rooms in the house in Golders Green were let by Easy Lettings, while the other two were let by UKPA Property Consultants, the trading name for R. B Jethwa Ltd.
Easy Lettings and R. B Jethwa were each fined £2,500 and ordered to pay costs of £764.25 and a victim surcharge of £170.
The firm was fined £2,500 and ordered to pay costs of £764.25 and a victim surcharge of £170.
Barnet council officers found the home had not been registered as a House of Multiple Occupancy despite being home to nine people.
They discovered a faulty fire alarm system, stairs and flooring that had been partially eaten by rats, and a severe cockroach infestation – all breaches of HMO management regulations.
The nine people included a pregnant woman who was sharing one small room with her husband and young child. Another run-down room was home to a man who often shared it with his two children.
Owner of the property Asher Abraham was fined £20,000, with £6,113.96 in costs and a £170 victim surcharge, after proceedings at Willesden Magistrates Court.
Co-owner Hannah Abraham was fined £1,500 with a victim surcharge of £170.
A spokesman for the council says: “These people have purposefully breached the law and put their tenants at risk. The COVID-19 lockdown cannot be used as an excuse not to licence HMOs and ensure that properties are safe.
“I am delighted to see the courts supporting the council in sending out a strong message that this kind of behaviour is not acceptable.”
Back to: News Index